Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Facebook World Connection In Data Visualization


Here is the creation from Paul Butler, an Intern from Facebook.

Facebook (Facebook) Intern Paul Butler was interested in the locations of friendships, so he decided to create a visualization of Facebook connections around the globe.

Butler wrote a fascinating Facebook note explaining some of the challenges he faced creating his visualization:

“I began exploring it in R, an open-source statistics environment. As a sanity check, I plotted points at some of the latitude and longitude coordinates. To my relief, what I saw was roughly an outline of the world. Next I erased the dots and plotted lines between the points. After a few minutes of rendering, a big white blob appeared in the center of the map. Some of the outer edges of the blob vaguely resembled the continents, but it was clear that I had too much data to get interesting results just by drawing lines. I thought that making the lines semi-transparent would do the trick, but I quickly realized that my graphing environment couldn’t handle enough shades of color for it to work the way I wanted.

What do you think of the visualization? Let us know in the comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment